Announced in the 2010 Federal Budget and officially launched on July 6, 2010, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) program seeks to attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally, to develop their leadership potential and to position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow, positively contributing to Canada’s economic, social and research-based growth through leadership in a research-intensive career.
Canadian and international candidates are eligible to apply for a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Each Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship is valued at $70,000 (taxable) per annum for two years.
Prospective candidates wishing to apply for a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship must do so in close collaboration with the host institution at which they seek to conduct their postdoctoral training. In light of the small number of awards in the program, and the demands of both the application process and the review process,
institutions have been asked to be highly selective in terms of the applicants they endorse, as Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships will ultimately be awarded to a prestigious group of researchers who have demonstrated both research excellence and leadership, and synergy with the institution’s strategic priorities. At any one time,
this program supports up to 140 successful international and Canadian awardees with highly prestigious fellowships. Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships awards must be taken up and held at the host institution that provided the initial endorsement.
The 70 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships awarded each year are equally divided among the three federal granting agencies, with the 70th award rotating annually.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program Features.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the applicant – their individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- the host institution – their commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program Eligibility.
Citizenship and location of host institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Applicants to the 2018-19 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2015 and September 30, 2019 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2019.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program Timelines.
|April – September 2018||Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).|
|September 19, 2018
|Deadline for complete application submission|
|October to December 2018||Evaluation of applications|
|Mid February, 2019||Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|April to October 2019||Payments begin|
How to Apply for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program.
Before beginning to prepare an application, applicants should read the Application guide carefully. Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships selection committees are multidisciplinary, and applications should therefore be written with a non-specialist research audience in mind.
Individual application documents can be submitted in either English or French.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete; this includes ensuring that all host institution documents and referee assessments have been submitted.